Indigents and Those Unable to Pay

Indigence, or a person's inability to pay, is different than refusal to pay a fine or court costs. The court must find alternative ways for the indigent defendant to satisfy the judgment. Alternative methods of discharge include delayed payment, time payments, and community service. In some cases where the defendant cannot pay and cannot do community service, the only alternative is waiver of payment. Art. 45.0491, C.C.P.