Summer Safety Tips
Follow these simple tips to have a safe and fun summer!
General Tips to Share with Your Children:
- Always check with your parents, guardian, or the trusted adult in charge before going anywhere or doing anything. AND check in regularly.
- Always taking friend(s) with you when going anywhere or doing anything is not only safer but more fun. Same applies when using public restrooms.
- When home alone, stay safe by keeping all doors and windows locked. Do not open any of these or talk to anyone who comes to the home unless they are a trusted family friend or relative you feel comfortable being alone with and has been given pre-approval by your parents or guardian.
- Never tell anyone who calls that you’re home alone. If your parent or guardian cannot be reached contact a neighbor or other trusted adult if you feel scared, uncomfortable, or confused. Always call 9-1-1 if it is an emergency.
- Be careful when playing outside by staying away from pools, creeks, and other bodies of water unless you are with a trusted adult. Stay clear of busy streets or deserted areas and never take shortcuts.
- Do not wear clothes or other items that display your name. But, if you happen to wear something displaying your name, do not let that confuse you if someone you do not know calls you by name.
- Always trust your feelings and say no and/or get away from any person or situation that makes you feel scared, uncomfortable, or confused. Make sure to let an adult know if something happens to make you feel this way. AND, remember, it’s never too late to tell a trusted adult if something happened.
- When leaving town on vacation, stop by the police department or click here to request a security check.
- Have someone pick up your mail and newspapers.
- Leave a lamp on a timer.
- Always lock your home, garage or office.
- Fight the urge to let everyone on social media know that you are out of town and that your home and valuables are unattended!